Friday, November 24, 2006

Thanks to God/Buying and Selling

Peace and Good! I have been ill, even in the hospital, but am better,thanks be to God and His gift of modern medicine. I will reflect more on the whole experience soon. I also ask prayers for my Aunt Annette who died last Sunday. Her funeral mass is tomorrow morning.
One quick thought of the day: how interesting, to have Jesus overturning the money changers on the day called "Black Friday" because it so focuses on buying and selling! Not that Jesus was against business; he uses images of merchants and economics in some of the parables. But he was concerned always about priorities: that we remember what is what and why. Economics are to serve the good of people, not the other way around. And of course, it should serve ideally to help us love and praise God. But we forget so easily. I think that's what so motivated Francis. He knew the life of a merchant, he knew the power of money and wealth. And he knew how it could be so easily abused, turning things upside down. He experienced how his own father had chosen money, possessions and all to his own son. May the Lord help us, like Francis, to value things with their true value and keep our priorities. God bless!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I hope you are feeling better. I also thought of today's Gospel while my relatives told me how stores opened up at midnight on Friday. Some of my family went shopping at midnight. Now I hate to judge but I wonder how many people practice the old tradition of Vigil? Maybe Vigil has new meanings.

Anonymous said...

Amen, Rashfriar. I'll have to pray retroactively for you -- didn't know you were ill. I praise God that you're back.

Drew, everything has changed. But that is what they said in 70 A.D. as well. It's up to those who love God to help right things again.